We are hiring for the following positions in 2022. Applications are reviewed as received, and we need them in ASAP. Check out our ABOUT page for more farm background information.
Job Title: Farm Crew
About Spring Time Farm: Spring Time Farm (STF) is a family-owned, Certified Organic mixed vegetable farm in the beautiful Nooksack Valley of Whatcom County, Washington. Located at the headwaters of the Sumas River, we are in our 9th growing season. We grow 12 acres of mixed vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers. With a crew of 4-9 people (depending on the season), our focus is on providing high quality, nutritious produce to our local CSA and regional wholesale markets. The strength of our business is tied to a safe, efficient, collaborative workplace.
We are looking for 1-2 smart, positive, tough and detail-oriented folks to join our 2022 farm crew. Ideal candidates will have a strong interest in food and farming, enjoy working both on a team and individually and be ready for challenging, fast-paced work. We love growing food and hope that you will too! Positions start in April through December. Applications are reviewed as they are received.
Position Summary/Responsibilities: As a member of our highly-valued STF Farm Crew, your primary responsibilities will be to harvest, wash and pack produce, planting, cultivation and crop maintenance. Duties will be carried out in teams or individually. It is hard, sometimes repetitive work and a positive, resilient attitude is crucial along with a willingness to hustle. You must be able to take direction/feedback from Nick, the farm owner, Field Lead, and Post Harvest Lead, as well to give suggestions/feedback.
During peak harvest season, our crews are divided into either primarily harvest or wash-pack teams. Though there is some specialization, all crew members will be involved in all aspects of production throughout the season. All crew members will be trained on various equipment (multiple hand and tractor tools). We are a small diversified operation, so tasks are varied and fast-paced. We frequently switch jobs throughout the day, partially out of necessity and partially to reduce repetitive motions. We have invested heavily in mechanization to alleviate the strain of farm tasks, but it is still hard manual labor. Performing repetitive tasks in all weather conditions is the core of farm work.
- Full Time*: Approximately 40 hours per week March/April-December, sometimes less in the spring/fall shoulder season
- *Full-time availability is preferred but will consider qualified part-time candidates.
- Part-Time winter work available to those interested in returning for the following season
- Schedule: Sunday-Thursday, though some individuals may be scheduled Monday to Friday.
- Hours typically run from 8-5, weather-dependent, with potentially longer days during peak season depending on farm needs.
- $15.00/hour DOE
- Paid Sick Leave (1 hour accrued per 40 hours worked, available after 90 days of employment).
- Paid Family Medical Leave (WA state program).
- Workers’ compensation insurance via L&I.
- Free/discounted farm produce.
- Learning opportunities on a diversified vegetable farm.
- We may be able to help find housing in the area if needed.
- Performance-based and year-end bonuses possible.
- Overtime pay: time and a half above 55 hours a week.
** We take COVID-19 seriously and expect all employees to be fully vaccinated (with proof) and to follow all relevant COVID guidelines, including wearing a mask if directed by STF owners. **
- Previous farm or manual labor experience preferred but not required.
- Flexible and positive attitude; able to stay positive through stressful moments.
- Please let us know if you have mechanical aptitude and/or experience operating a tractor (or the desire to do so)!
- Clear communication and good interpersonal skills. Able to ask for direction/clarification and accept and act on constructive feedback without taking it personally.
- Excellent attention to detail, product quality, and food safety procedures.
- Able to learn quickly, good time management skills; happy to hustle, adapt and shift focus quickly based on changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to complete self-directed or collaborative work and to prioritize tasks efficiently
- Physically fit; ability to bend, kneel, and lift frequently. Work long hours in any weather and lift 50 lbs repeatedly.
- Reliable, on-time transportation to the farm is required.
- Bilingual candidates speaking Spanish are strongly desired.
- Ability to drive stick shift truck & automatic box truck, a plus but not required
To Apply: If interested please send an email titled: Farm Crew 2022 to email@example.com. Please include your contact information, a resume, and 2-3 references.